How to Stop Rottweiler Biting
Has your Rottweiler started biting? This behavior needs to be controlled as soon as possible before your Rottweiler ends up hurting somebody.
Below are some great tips to help you stop your Rottweiler biting – both at the puppy stage and at the adult stage.
Rottweiler biting at the puppy stage
The best time to stop your Rottweiler biting is at the puppy stage – because if you stop the biting behavior while they’re still young, then it will help lessen the chances of your Rottweiler biting as they reach adulthood.
So keep on reading as the following tips will help you stop your Rottweiler biting at the puppy stage.
- Alpha leadership: As soon as your new Rottweiler puppy enters your home, you need to start proving yourself as the alpha leader. This means showing your Rottweiler puppy that you are in charge of your household and family (or pack in dog terms). If you do not become this alpha leader then your Rottweiler puppy may try and fulfill the role instead. One way they may do this is by biting. Therefore, to prevent this biting behavior from occurring you need to become the alpha leader as soon as possible. One way you can prove yourself in this role is by always eating your meals before your Rottweiler. Secondly, you should always walk through doorways prior to your Rottweiler.
- Rules: You need set a ‘no biting’ rule the moment your Rottweiler puppy enters your home – and you need to stick to this rule! You cannot be inconsistent and let your Rottweiler puppy playfully bite during a game one day but tell them off the next. This inconsistency will confuse your Rottweiler and they will not learn that biting is unacceptable.
- Act like a Rottweiler: If a Rottweiler puppy were bitten by their brothers or sisters then they would let out a loud “yelp”. So, the next time your Rottweiler puppy bites you make a similar sound. Repeat this every single time your Rottweiler puppy bites you. If you do this then overtime your Rottweiler puppy will learn that biting is unacceptable.
Remember stopping your Rottweiler biting at the puppy stage is so important. Because, as previously mentioned, if you allow them to bite at the puppy stage then your Rottweiler may continue to bite as they get older. So take the above tips and stop the biting behavior while your Rottweiler is still in the puppy stage.
Rottweiler biting at the adult stage
If you were unable to stop your Rottweiler biting at the puppy stage, then it is likely they may continue to bite as they reach adulthood. If this is the case then it is vital that you get the situation under control as soon as possible. If you do not take control then your Rottweiler may cause serious harm to someone. The best way to get an adult Rottweiler’s biting under control is by enlisting the help of a professional dog trainer. They would be able to come to your home and would help you stop your Rottweiler biting.
If your adult Rottweiler has only just started biting, and it is completely out of their usual behavior, then their may be an underlying cause including:
- They may have an injury or illness not visible to the human eye. To rule this out, take your Rottweiler to your local vet for a complete check-up.
- Your Rottweiler may have some form of anxiety. If this is the case then you need to find out the cause behind the anxiety – for instance it could be separation anxiety. Once you have figured out the cause you can then take steps to control it, which in turn may help stop the biting behavior.
No matter what stage your Rottweiler is at, they should never be allowed to bite. So take the tips and information in this article and stop your Rottweiler biting today.